Friday 1 July 2011

Progress!

As you can see I've started to build up the superstructure, to prevent it getting too top heavy it is mainly made from balsa, I have since these photos glued on the splashers and filled in the gap at the top. (and all the gaps where parts don't quite fit!) The battery was nearly flat so quite convenient for a test in the bath, I didn't want full power just a cruising speed and even like this it seemed impressive! The speed regulator board (LM338 chip) has just been tested on my bench and I will try it on the boat's motor tonight, now I need a 12 volt relay for reverse switching and and probably a second micro switch so that the motor is totally disconnected and not draining the battery when in the stop position. The main job left is designing and fitting the twin rudders that sit behind each paddle wheel, this seems far more sensible than one rudder trailing behind in the center where it would have far less influence and be more likely to be damaged.
Btw the doors came from the original aircraft carrier though they weren't doors, kind of louvers of some sort,I turned them round to show the back just bcz i thought they looked like a ships doors, probably more water tight and ocean going than you'd find on a river boat but never mind. I'm also going to use the aircraft lift platform as the bridge's roof as it has a nice planking pattern on it, why not.



No comments:

Post a Comment